WHY BE BAPTIZED?
- Because you want to follow Christ's example. "At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river." Mark 1:9
- Because Jesus commanded it. "Jesus said, 'Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20
- Because it shows you are a believer. "Many of the Corinthians who heard Him believed and were baptized." Acts 18:8
- Because obeying Christ's command shows you know Him. "We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands." 1 John 2:3
THE MEANING OF BAPTISM
- It is a symbol fo Christ's burial and resurrection. "Christ died for our sins...He was buried...and He rose again." 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4
- It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian. "When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Baptism doesn't make you a believer - it shows that you already are one! Baptism doesn't "save" you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring - it's the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith...it's the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8, 9
HOW ARE WE TO BE BAPTIZED?
- Like Jesus was baptized - by being immersed in water. "As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out to the water." Matthew 3:16
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion under water. "Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water..." Acts 8:38, 39
- The word "baptize" literally means, "to immerse or dip under water".
- It is the best way to picture a burial and resurrection.
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Every person who has made the decision to believe in Christ should be baptized. The one requirement for baptism is belief in Christ!
"Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized." Acts 2:41
"But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News...and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women." Acts 8:12
"Simon himself believed and was baptized..." Acts 8:13
WHEN ARE WE TO BE BAPTIZED?
As soon as you have believed! You shouldn't delay.
"Those who believed...were baptized...that day!" Acts 2:41
"Then Philip began with the Scripture and told him the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, 'Look here is water! Why shouldn't I be baptized right now?' Philip said, 'If you believe with all your heart, you may.' The official answered, 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.' Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him." Acts 8:36-39
WHAT ABOUT BEING BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Our church recommends that you be baptized again if you have not been baptized by immersion since you became a believer, or if you were baptized as an infant. It doesn't devalue a prior experience but simply reflects your desire to be baptized in the same way Jesus was baptized.
CAN FAMILY BE BAPTIZED TOGETHER?
Yes! If each family member fully understands the meaning of baptism, and each one has personally placed his or her trust in Christ for salvation, we encourage families to be baptized at the same time. Only children who are old enough to understand and believe in Christ can be baptized. For more information about children being baptized, please contact the NextGen Pastor.